« Back to Blog
October Cyber Security Awareness - Ten Ways to Protect Yourself
By Del Peñano
Oct 18, 2017
Stop, Think, Connect during October Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) and we need to do our part, from businesses, government and as consumers to be diligent when we are online because of the cyber threats that we’re all exposed to on a daily basis.
Part of NCSAM, is the Stop.Think.Connect Campaign. These campaigns like many others are designed to bring public awareness of cyber threats and empower all us to be wise when we are online, be it on our computer, portable devices etc. Cybersecurity starts with all of us and it’s a shared responsibility.
Here are 10 ways to be safer on the internet:
- Patch, patch, patch. Set up your computer for automatic software and operating systems updates.
- Install protective software or a cloud enabled threat management solution that mitigates virus, malware & provides adware protection.
- Choose Strong Passwords. Use letters, numbers and $pec!@Jcharacters to create an easy to remember mental image of acronym.
- Backup, backup, backup. Setting up Jungle Disk can protect you from the unexpected. (It’s not if, but when hardware fails, fire, theft or catastrophe occurs).
- Lock access to your machine. Don’t leave workstation(computer) unattended and logged in, especially in public places.
- Use email and internet cautiously. Don’t open unsolicited emails/attachments, links, forms in emails from people you don’t know.
- Use secure connections. Use a Virtual Private Network when on public wi-fi.
- Protect sensitive data. Reduce the risk of identity theft by using encryption tools to protect data and if possible, securely remove sensitive data files from your hard drive.
- Use Desktop Firewalls or add additional firewalls, including cloud based firewalls as an option.
- Stay informed. Stay current with latest developments/events in cybersecurity news. A good resource is to subscribe to alerts from US Computer Emergency Readiness Team.
We are spending more time on the internet, be it at the workplace, school, or our homes and increasing threats on daily basis and therefore we should be diligent in practicing safe online habits. Hacks and breaches will continue to increase over time, so it’s the utmost importance to protect yourselves when using the internet. So, remember: Stop. Think. Connect.
At Jungle Disk we offer a “Data Security” Suite, from cloud backup, network threat protection and email archiving solution for SMB’s. Call us today at 1-888-601-0401 to get more information.