« Back to Blog
October is Cyber Security Awareness Month - 10 Ways to Protect Yourself
By Del Peñano
Oct 18, 2017
Stop, Think and Connect during Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) and we need to do our part, as businesses, government entities and consumers to be diligent when we are online because of the cyber threats that we’re all exposed to on a daily basis. Part of NCSAM is the Stop.Think.Connect Campaign. These campaigns, like many others, are designed to bring public awareness of cyber threats and empower all us to be wise when we are online, be it on our computer or mobile devices. Cybersecurity starts with all of us and it’s a shared responsibility.
Here are 10 ways to be safer on the internet:
- Patch, patch, patch! Set up your computer for automatic software and operating systems updates.
- Install protective software or a cloud-enabled threat management solution that mitigates viruses, malware and provides adware protection.
Choose strong passwords. Use letters, numbers and $pec!@Jcharacters to create passphrases.
- Backup, backup, backup! Setting up Jungle Disk can protect you from the unexpected. (It’s not if, but when, hardware fails, fires happen or theft occurs).
- Lock access to your machine. Don’t leave your computer unattended and logged in, especially in public places.
- Use email and internet cautiously. Don’t open unsolicited emails or attachments, links, forms in emails from people you don’t know.
- Use secure connections. Use a Virtual Private Network when on public wifi.
- Protect sensitive data. Reduce the risk of identity theft by using encryption tools to protect data, and if possible, securely remove sensitive data files from your hard drive.
- Use desktop firewalls or add additional firewalls, which include cloud-based firewalls.
- Stay informed. Stay current with latest developments/events in cybersecurity news. A good resource is to subscribe to alerts from the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team.
We are spending more time on the internet, be it at the workplace, school or our homes, and threats occur on a daily basis, so we should be diligent in practicing safe online habits. Hacks and breaches will continue to increase over time, so it’s the utmost importance to protect yourselves when using the internet. So, remember: Stop. Think. Connect.
At Jungle Disk we offer a Data Security Suite, from cloud backup, network threat protection and email archiving solution for small- to medium-sized businesses. Call us today at 1-888-601-0401 to get more information.