Server Edition 3.18 Test Results – 54 Percent Speed Increase for Backup Search
First off, Happy New Year, everyone!
We at Jungle Disk had a great holiday season and hope it was the same for you and yours. After a month of having it out in the wild, we’re very pleased with the rate of adoption for both new and upgrading installs. As I mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to follow up with some reports on performance of the new version of the client. With the help of Tom Welch, our Senior Systems Engineer, we’ve put together an analysis of our tests and crunched some numbers around the success rates of our customers’ backups.
Before I dig into the details of our analysis, let’s go over how we performed our testing.
We performed the following tests:
We used each version of Jungle Disk Server Edition (3.16 & 3.18), and to best emulate the use of our customers, we performed three different runs of a backup:
- a “first” run where all data gets uploaded
- an incremental run where file/folder modifications upload changed portions of files
- another incremental run where data is deleted or removed from the backup set
The data selected for backup was identical for all testing.
- 30+ GB of MS SQL Backups
- 30+ GB of basic office-type documents and files (.docx, .pdf, .xlsx, .pptx)
- 20+ GB of compressed log files from our webservers
- Further, we ran 3 restore/recovery jobs on each version. For each restore, we selected a folder with 11 GB of files
To perform these tests, we used a windows server in our infrastructure that is already provisioned for backups.
Here’s what we found:
- “First run” backups completed 6.75% faster using 3.18 (2h 46min vs. 2h 58min). Most notable here is the point at which we saw the greatest gains in speed, the “search” phase of the backup. For this phase of the backup, we saw 3.18 have speed improvements of up to 54% (17sec vs 37sec)!! This phase of the backup ONLY takes place on the computer/server being backed up, so seeing improvement here means lower resource consumption by the Jungle Disk client!
- Incremental backups completed 5.5% faster using 3.18 (29min 14sec vs. 30min 57sec).
- Restoring from a backup completed up to 9% faster using 3.18 (54min 46sec vs. 1h 15 sec).
Further, after examining some of the data that the client records and sends to our database, I was able to run some calculations on the rate of success for our customers’ backup jobs. Being a bit a nerd about data and statistics, I dug into the data I was able to collect and found some very interesting numbers.
- In 2015, backups succeeded 96.99% of the time
- In 2015, customers ran over 10 billion backups on over 140 billion files
We also looked at the success of Server Edition backups over the previous 14 days and we were able to improve the quality again.
- Customers using 3.16 Server Edition had a success rate of 96%
- Customers using 3.18 Server Edition had as success rate of just under 97%
I’ve got to say, I’m extremely pleased and excited with these statistics! Being in the business of protecting people’s data, reliability and speed are two of the most important things for a customer, and we’ve absolutely improved every aspect of your experience with version 3.18 of Jungle Disk Server Edition.