Cyber Talk Radio: Investigating Cyber Crimes
Investigating Cyber Crimes - Week 15 of Cyber Talk Radio
Our guest this week was Ed Shaw, former FBI agent.
This past Saturday, December 31, the 15th episode of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. Ed joined the show to discuss his background as a FBI agent and experience investigating cyber crimes.
In the first half of the show, we kick off the show with Ed giving the audience an overview of his background as a FBI agent investigating international cyber crimes between the U.S. and Japan. Ed talks through the role of the FBI investigating crimes Internationally and how the agency works with businesses to identify if they have been affected by a cyber crime or attack. Ed highlighted two security tips for business owners to keep in mind - always cover your laptop or computer camera and have an IT security plan in place at all times. We also talk through the role of the security compliance unit at the FBI and the different classification levels of information when investigating.
In the second half of the show, we discuss how the FBI coordinates investigating a cyber crimes across multiple countries and walk through a hypothetical scenario. Ed walks us through a criminal cyber investigation that occurred during his tenure at the FBI where the criminal was based in Tokyo. The investigation took months of planning to complete the multi-country takedown and had many obstacles throughout the investigation. Cybersecurity investigations are complicated and there will be continued progress with countries working together to develop cyber policies. To close out the show and the year, I asked Ed to give his predictions for 2017. Watch the replay to hear our predictions. Happy New Year!
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Application Security aka AppSec with John Dickson and Dan Cornell at Denim Group
- Security is a Team Sport with Omar Quimbaya at Def Logix
- Incident Management and Response with Robert Autenrieth at J. Nels Consulting, LLC
- San Antonio, Cyber City USA with Jim Perschbach at Port San Antonio
- Accelerating Cybersecurity Innovation in San Antonio with Will Garrett at Build Sec Foundry
- Cyber Workforce and Economic Development in San Antonio with Joe Sanchez at CyberTexas Foundation
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 16, January 7: Cybersecurity Risk Management and Training Programs in San Antonio with Rich Valdez, CTO at IPSecure, Inc.
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.