Cyber Talk Radio: Cybersecurity Risk Management
Cybersecurity Risk Management and Training Programs - Week 16 of Cyber Talk Radio
Our guest this week was Rich Valdez, CTO at IPSecure, Inc..
This past Saturday, January 7, the 16th episode of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. Rich joined the show to discuss his role as CTI at IPSecure Inc. and talk through cybersecurity risk management and training programs.
In the first half of the show, Rich gives the audience background on his role as a government contractor setting up Security Operations Centers (SOCs) Internationally and is now working as the CTO at IPSecure, Inc. Rich gives an overview of IPSecure, its work with the 24th and 25th Air Force in San Antonio, its satellite office at Port San Antonio and the stack of solutions supported on-site including a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) and testing lab for technologies that will be used in the Department of Defense world. Cybersecurity training is important focus for IPSecure as they work with universities and third parties to develop training programs and in-house training labs. Rich highlights that security is about reducing risk with a risk management framework. A cybersecurity professional should understand both the technology and the potential risks involved.
In the second half of the show, we walk through what it looks like to work in a cybersecurity research lab. Rich also gives information on the security clearance and certification requirements of employees that work in the labs especially when working on government related projects. Do you know the process of a background check for clearance? What does a day in the life of a cybersecurity professional look like? The security clearance can take months or up to years. Watch the replay to learn more about security clearances, training programs and more!
Quick Fact – Did you know that SA is the largest cyber community outside of Washington D.C.? It is important that we come together as local community to sponsor cybersecurity training and continue to develop talent through organizations like the Open Cloud Academy, Code Up and universities such as University of Texas at San Antonio.
We are excited to have Congressman Will Hurd on the show this Saturday, don’t forget to tune in!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 17, January 14: Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd, U.S. Representative for the 23rd District of Texas
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Application Security aka AppSec with John Dickson and Dan Cornell at Denim Group
- Security is a Team Sport with Omar Quimbaya at Def Logix
- Incident Management and Response with Robert Autenrieth at J. Nels Consulting, LLC
- San Antonio, Cyber City USA with Jim Perschbach at Port San Antonio
- Accelerating Cybersecurity Innovation in San Antonio with Will Garrett at Build Sec Foundry
- Cyber Workforce and Economic Development in San Antonio with Joe Sanchez at CyberTexas Foundation
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
- Investigating Cyber Crimes with Ed Shaw, former FBI Agent and CIPP
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.