Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd - Week 17 of Cyber Talk Radio
Cybersecurity Legislation - Week 17 of Cyber Talk Radio
Our guest this week was Congressman Will Hurd.
This past Saturday, January 15, the 17th episode of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was honored to be joined by Congressman Will Hurd to discuss the importance of cybersecurity legislation and priorities for the upcoming session.
In the first half of the show, we kick off the conversation discussing the Congressman’s background securing a computer science degree at Texas A&M and his career in operations with the CIA. Congressman Hurd is one of four representatives with a computer science background. That is a shocking stat! Last year’s data breach with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) exposing over 14 million personal records, has unfortunately brought the importance of cybersecurity to the forefront of people’s minds. The IT sub committee that Congressman Hurd leads is focusing on advancing cybersecurity information sharing, privacy and emerging technologies to help prevent future cyberattacks such at the OPM incident.
In the second half of the show, the Congressman walks us through the three key cybersecurity legislative agenda items for the upcoming session.
- Improve access at the middle school level to technical coding curriculum
- Create a Cyber National Guard
- Improve the amount of cybersecurity information sharing across agencies and the private sector
Congressman Hurd is passionate about educational programs such as CyberPatriot, Robotics programs, CodeUp and more. The Congressman is working with University of Texas and STEM education to train middle school teachers on how to to integrate computer science into their curriculum. There were 42,000 computing jobs unfilled in Texas last year. Spurring education starting at the middle school level and continuing through high school and university levels will help fill that talent gap.
Congressman Hurd tells us about one frequent question from all of the counties that he represents. Can you guess what the question is about? Cybersecurity. It’s exciting to see and hear that San Antonio is doing something right when it comes to cybersecurity!
In case you missed the episode on Saturday, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 18, January 21: Payment Card Industry (PCI) Standards and Compliance with Ray Sims, Decypher Technologies
- Episode 19, January 28: Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev Grok Interactive
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- San Antonio, Cyber City USA with Jim Perschbach at Port San Antonio
- Accelerating Cybersecurity Innovation in San Antonio with Will Garrett at Build Sec Foundry
- Cyber Workforce and Economic Development in San Antonio with Joe Sanchez at CyberTexas Foundation
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
- Investigating Cyber Crimes with Ed Shaw, former FBI Agent and CIPP
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.