PCI Standards and Compliance: Proper Guidelines and Practices
Payment Card Industry (PCI) Standards and Compliance - Week 18 of Cyber Talk Radio
Our guest this week was Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies.
This past Saturday, January 21, the 18th episode of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies to discuss Payment Card Industry (PCI) Standards and Compliance.
In the first half of the show, we kick off the conversation with an intro to Decypher Technologies and Ray’s 20 years of experience in information security. One major area of focus for Decypher is Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards and compliance. The Payment Card Industry has specific data security standards and requirements that merchants must meet if they accept payment via credit card. Some of the ways you can assess your business’ security are vulnerability scans and penetration tests. If your point of sale system saves customers’ credit card data, then your life just got a little bit more complicated. A PCI data breach can be very expensive for a small business. Ray gives several tips to make sure you are following the proper guidelines and implementing proper security safeguards.
In the second half of the show, we dive deeper into penetration testing, “ethical hacking” and other scenarios and way to test the security of your business. If you are a merchant accepting credit cards, you should definitely do a penetration test once a year on the your entire cardholder data environment (CDE). The test can help you increase the overall security of your organization. Ray and I walk through an example penetration test scenario for a regional restaurant chain that has online ordering where you can complete payment online. Listen the full episode to learn the steps involved in the testing process.
If you missed the episode live, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 19, January 28: Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev Grok Interactive
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Incident Management and Response with Robert Autenrieth at J. Nels Consulting, LLC
- San Antonio, Cyber City USA with Jim Perschbach at Port San Antonio
- Accelerating Cybersecurity Innovation in San Antonio with Will Garrett at Build Sec Foundry
- Cyber Workforce and Economic Development in San Antonio with Joe Sanchez at CyberTexas Foundation
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
- Investigating Cyber Crimes with Ed Shaw, former FBI Agent and CIPP
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.