Cyber Talk Radio: CyberPatriot Program at McNair Middle School
CyberPatriot Program at McNair Middle School - Week 22 of Cyber Talk Radio
Our guest this week was Mike Maldonado, CyberPatriot Coach, Technology Facilitator at Ronald McNair Middle School.
This past Saturday, February 25, episode 22 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Mike Maldonado, CyberPatriot Coach, Technology Facilitator at Ronald McNair Middle School, to discuss the CyberPatriot program at McNair Middle School and how the competition works.
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Mike explain what the CyberPatriot Program is and how it works at McNair Middle School. Did you know that play on a CyberPatriot team is a more rigorous sport than football? It takes both mental and physical team work. At McNair Middle School, there is a major Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) push, which started with Robotics then moved into CyberPatriot. This year, the CyberPatriot team got 2nd place in Texas! The school season for the program is September through February and the competition occurs in April. To learn more about CyberPatriot go to uscyberpatriot.org.
In the second half of the show, we dig into what a CyberPatriot competition day looks like at the middle school level. The students start the day with setting up their room for the competition then kick off the game at 9:00 a.m. by reading the scenario and strategizing. The rounds get more difficult as they progress through the day. During the competition, there is an individual scoreboard for the students to track how many vulnerabilities they have found and how many they have left to solve. Every team competes at their own school campus. At the end of the competition, how does a winning team get recognized? Listen to the show replay to find out and hear more about the awesome word middle school students are doing in the CyberPatriot program!
If you missed the episode live, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 23, March 5: Developing Youth Cyber Talent with Debi Pfitzenmaier of Youth Code Jam
- Episode 24, March 11: CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School with Juan Guerrero of Business Careers High School
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Accelerating Cybersecurity Innovation in San Antonio with Will Garrett at Build Sec Foundry
- Cyber Workforce and Economic Development in San Antonio with Joe Sanchez at CyberTexas Foundation
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
- Investigating Cyber Crimes with Ed Shaw, former FBI Agent and CIPP
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- PCI Compliance with Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies
- Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev of Grok Interactive
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Greg White, PhD of University of Texas San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Trends for 2017 with Stephanie Ewing-Ottmers, cybersecurity evangelist at Delta Risk
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.