Cyber Talk Radio: CyberPatriot at Business Careers High School
CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School - Week 24 of Cyber Talk Radio
Our guest this week was Juan Guerrero, technology certification instructor at Business Careers High School.
This past Saturday, March 11, episode 24 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Juan Guerrero, technology certification instructor at Business Careers High School, discuss the CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School as well as the technology certification classes he teaches at the Open Cloud Academy.
In the first half of the show, Juan gives us a peek into his background in IT and how Business Careers High School got started at Holmes High School in San Antonio. Juan teaches security and programming tracks and also coaches the CyberPatriot team. As you likely heard on a recent episode, we had Mike Maldonado on the show as the CyberPatriot coach for McNair Middle School. So what’s the difference between middle school and high school CyberPatriot competitions and skill levels? Quick hint, high school students are asked to solve more complex problems and challenges. This year, Juan’s team is in the National finals!
In the second half of the show, Juan talks through how the CyberPatriot competition works and the different challenges incorporated in the competition. After high school, can students participate in CyberPatriot at the college level? YES, many students get scholarships because of their cybersecurity expertise and participate in CyberPatriot at the collegiate level. After high school, some students even go on to get jobs at major local companies such as Rackspace, HEB, Peer 1, Southwest Research, Accenture, etc. When Juan is not teaching at Business Careers High School or coaching CyberPatriot, you can find him teaching network security night classes at the Open Cloud Academy. There are a few requirements to enroll including that you must be 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED. Check out the the Open Cloud Academy’s site to learn more about the classes offered and enrollment!
If you missed the episode live, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 25, March 19: Open Cloud Academy and the Cybersecurity Track with Deborah Carter and Johnny Carrera
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
- Investigating Cyber Crimes with Ed Shaw, former FBI Agent and CIPP
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- PCI Compliance with Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies
- Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev of Grok Interactive
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Trends for 2017 with Stephanie Ewing-Ottmers, cybersecurity evangelist at Delta Risk
- CyberPatriot Program at McNair Middle School with Mike Maldonado, CyberPatriot coach and technology facilitator at McNair Middle School
- Developing Youth Cyber Talent with Debi Pfitzenmaier, founder at Youth Code Jam
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.