The Open Cloud Academy and its Cybersecurity Track - Week 25 of Cyber Talk Radio
CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School - Week 25 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Sunday, March 19, episode 25 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Deborah Carter, senior manager of the Open Cloud Academy, and Johnny Carrera, instructor at the Open Cloud Academy, to discuss the training and certification programs at the Open Cloud Academy including a new cybersecurity track.
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Deborah and Johnny give quick intros and tell us about their roles at the Open Cloud Academy. Did you know that the Open Cloud Academy has a 98 percent completion rate and 83 percent employment rate after completion? Those are some amazing success stats! The academy is a nine week program for students starting with almost no tech knowledge and finish the program with functioning cyber skills. To learn more about the program, certification courses offered and how to get started, the Open Cloud Academy holds information sessions the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month at 6pm.
In the second half of the show, Johnny walks us through his experience in cybersecurity training and how he created the CyberPatriot program at Holmes High School. The program started at the high school with six students and now has over 40 students in it! Johnny then walks us through the cybersecurity track, curriculum and the network administration courses. Also, Coby Coleman, instructor at the Open Cloud Academy, joined Deborah and Johnny during the second half of the show to walk us through the Linux course that he teaches at the academy. The instructors highlight that the ultimate goal of the academy is to develop a curriculum that is real and builds the skills that enable students to walk out and get real world jobs after graduation. The stats given above prove that what they are doing is working!
If you missed the episode live, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 26, March 25: Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Tommy Calvert
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- PCI Compliance with Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies
- Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev of Grok Interactive
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Trends for 2017 with Stephanie Ewing-Ottmers, cybersecurity evangelist at Delta Risk
- CyberPatriot Program at McNair Middle School with Mike Maldonado, CyberPatriot coach and technology facilitator at McNair Middle School
- Developing Youth Cyber Talent with Debi Pfitzenmaier, founder at Youth Code Jam
- CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School with Juan Guerrero, technology certification instructor
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.