Cyber Talk Radio: 2017 San Antonio Mayor’s Cyber Cup Awards
2017 San Antonio Mayor’s Cyber Cup Awards Luncheon hosted by CyberTexas Foundation - Week 27 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Sunday, April 2, episode 27 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I attended the 2017 San Antonio Mayor’s Cyber Cup luncheon hosted by the CyberTexas Foundation to speak with the CyberPatriot Commissioner, CyberPatriot teams from San Antonio and sponsoring companies such as Monster Government Solutions and Noblis NSP.
To kick off the show, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Bernie Skoch, Air Force Association CyberPatriot National Commissioner. Bernie gives us background on how and why the CyberPatriot program was developed. The goal of the organization is to attract students to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) through a cyber competition which has turned out to be quite successful. Eventually, there will be programs for preschool students all the way up to senior citizens. CyberPatriot is growing 32 percent every year! In 2009, the CyberPatriot program had eight teams of high school students and that number has grown to over 4,400 teams in all 50 states, Canada and DoD dependents school in the Pacific and Europe. To learn more about the program and how to get involved, check out the CyberPatriot website.
Following my talk with Bernie, the Alamo Academics team joined us to talk about their trip to the National Championship in Baltimore, MD this week. We are cheering them on from San Antonio! Also, hear from other student teams, coaches, mentors and event sponsors such as Monster Government Solutions and Noblis-NSP.
If you missed the episode live, watch the replay here to learn more about the CyberPatriot Program!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 28, April 8: Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers
- Episode 29, April 15: Voice and Unified Communications Security with SecureLogix
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- PCI Compliance with Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies
- Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev of Grok Interactive
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Trends for 2017 with Stephanie Ewing-Ottmers, cybersecurity evangelist at Delta Risk
- CyberPatriot Program at McNair Middle School with Mike Maldonado, CyberPatriot coach and technology facilitator at McNair Middle School
- Developing Youth Cyber Talent with Debi Pfitzenmaier, founder at Youth Code Jam
- CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School with Juan Guerrero, technology certification instructor
- Open Cloud Academy and its Cybersecurity Track with Deborah Carter and Johnny Carrera
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.