Cyber Talk Radio: Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs
Cyber Warrior Network - Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs - Week 31 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, April 29, episode 31 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Nigel LeBlanc at Cyber Warrior Network, to discuss the Cyber Warrior Network and what they are working on to help with career matching for military cyber jobs..
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Nigel gives us an overview of his background in the military and cybersecurity. From there, Nigel discusses some of the different things that the military does for training that doesn’t translate easily to private sector. Traditionally, in the military the Department of Defense does not prepare people in the military to be civilians. They do a great job at preparing people for their specific missions and goals in the military. So what leads military members to get into cybersecurity? Today, there is no clear civilian cybersecurity career path while serving. One of the main challenges is that people that do certain duties/jobs in the military don’t have specific certifications or education required in private sector. Cyber Warrior Network was started to help with this challenge and make it easier to match military cyber skills.
In the second half of the show, Nigel gives more details on why the Cyber Warrior Network (CWN) was created. CWN was created because of the critical shortage of skilled cyber professionals to meet the demand of today’s cyber threat environment. In the military, you are so siloed that you don’t know how your role/job translates to the civilian world. Nigel wants to encourage and help military members to literally get out of the uniform. CWN is currently in beta and continuing to work on the career matching algorithm. Stay up to date on the latest progress of CWN on their website and also keep an eye out for Nigel’s new podcast!
To hear more about the Cyber Warrior Network, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 32, May 6: Cyber Forensics and Threat Intelligence with Coherent Cyber
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- PCI Compliance with Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies
- Mobile App Development Security with Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev of Grok Interactive
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Trends for 2017 with Stephanie Ewing-Ottmers, cybersecurity evangelist at Delta Risk
- CyberPatriot Program at McNair Middle School with Mike Maldonado, CyberPatriot coach and technology facilitator at McNair Middle School
- Developing Youth Cyber Talent with Debi Pfitzenmaier, founder at Youth Code Jam
- CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School with Juan Guerrero, technology certification instructor
- Open Cloud Academy and its Cybersecurity Track with Deborah Carter and Johnny Carrera
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
- 2017 San Antonio Mayor’s Cyber Cup Luncheon hosted by CyberTexas Foundation
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Voice and Unified Communication Security with Mark Collier of SecureLogix
- CAST Tech High School in San Antonio
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.