Cyber Talk Radio: Veteran Entrepreneurship
Veteran Entrepreneurship and the Value of Human Capital - Week 34 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, May 13, episode 34 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by the founders of Spectrum Information Security, Michael Pleasant and Matthew Toussain, to discuss veteran entrepreneurship and the value of human capital..
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Michael and Matthew give us insight into their backgrounds in the military, work in cybersecurity and why they started Spectrum Information Security. Do you know what information classification is? A quick example is when malicious threat actors target your organization and are interested in retrieving specific critical information. This is a growing cybersecurity issue that businesses need to be aware of when implementing cybersecurity safeguards. As we transition the conversation to policy, Michael brings attention to the fact that military active duty/ reservist cannot qualify for veteran small business benefits. This is a policy that the Spectrum Information Security team would like to get changed with the Small Business Administration. A great, local San Antonio resource, Bunker Labs, is a great way for veteran entrepreneurs to network at events such as #bunkerbrews and learn about job opportunities for veterans to utilize their skills while they decide what they want to do after active duty.
In the second half of the show, we go over what Spectrum Information Security is doing to help businesses assess their cybersecurity risks. There is an over reliance on tools as a replacement for human capital. Learn more about how organizations can strike a balance between tools and techniques. Matthew frequently teaches a SANS cybersecurity training. Cybersecurity is constantly evolving so it’s a continual process for cybersecurity professionals to stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest best practices, certifications, etc. To hear more about veteran entrepreneurship and the value of human capital within cybersecurity, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 35, May 27: Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg, technology attorney at Dykema Cox Smith
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- CyberPatriot Program at Business Careers High School with Juan Guerrero, technology certification instructor
- Open Cloud Academy and its Cybersecurity Track with Deborah Carter and Johnny Carrera
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
- 2017 San Antonio Mayor’s Cyber Cup Luncheon hosted by CyberTexas Foundation
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Voice and Unified Communication Security with Mark Collier of SecureLogix
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Cyber Forensics and Threat Intelligence with Coherent Cyber
- U.S. Air Force Cyber Recruiting with TSgt. Dyamie Baker
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.