Cyber Talk Radio: Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation
Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation - Week 38 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, June 17, episode 38 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Johnathan Paul Wojtewicz, executive director at Bunker Labs, to discuss empowering military veterans as leaders in innovation through his work with Bunker Labs.
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Johnathan tell the audience about the history of Bunker Labs and how it was created. Quick fact: 25 percent of transitioning service members want to start a business and they need places inside their community where they can connect with the people, resources and support they need to start and grow their businesses. Bunker Labs is available to active military, reservists and retired veterans to help empower them to become entrepreneurs. The organization offers different programs including Bunker in a Box (online platform), Bunker Brews (networking) and Entrepreneurial Program for Innovation and Collaboration (EPIC, 10-14 week program). One of Bunker Lab’s major partners is USAA as they provide their talent and time to mentor and share their expertise. Over 150 military veterans have become Geekdom members over the last several months as a result of USAA kindly subsidizing their co-working membership. If you are a veteran and have taking advantage of this great opportunity, come down to Geekdom to become a member!
In the second half of the show, we dive into a few example companies that has been through the Bunker Labs program. The first company was Threatcare. Threatcare helps companies verify the efficacy of the three pillars of cybersecurity including people, process and products. Their intrusion simulations imitate the tactics used by real-world attackers, making it easy to verify your company’s security posture in seconds. Another great success story from Bunker Labs is a company called Re:3D. Based out of Austin and Houston, re:3D is breaking through the current limitations of 3D printing to unlock new applications and growth markets worldwide. Gigabot, re:3D’s flagship technology, enables industrial strength, large format 3D printing. In effort to create more company success stories, Bunker Labs is working hard to continue to inspire, educate, and connect transitioning service members and veterans as they seek to launch their own ventures. If you are interested in networking and hearing more about the organization, check out their monthly events called Bunker Brews on the first Thursday of each month in San Antonio and last Thursday in Austin.
Learn more about Bunker Labs by watching the episode replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
Episode 39, June 24: Industrial Cybersecurity Ecosystem with Dragos, Inc.
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Open Cloud Academy and its Cybersecurity Track with Deborah Carter and Johnny Carrera
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Voice and Unified Communication Security with Mark Collier of SecureLogix
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Cyber Forensics and Threat Intelligence with Coherent Cyber
- U.S. Air Force Cyber Recruiting with TSgt. Dyamie Baker
- Veteran Entrepreneurship and the Value of Human Capital with Spectrum Information Security
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- Future of Fingerprinting Technology with Mike Troy
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.