Cyber Talk Radio: STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio
STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio - Week 40 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, July 1, episode 40 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Jake Lopez, executive director at SASTEMIC, to discuss the mission of SASTEMIC and the efforts they are leading to promote STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio.
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Jake give us an overview of his background and experience developing STEM programs throughout the national. He is now the executive director at SASTEMIC helping promote and advocate STEM education within Title 1 schools in downtown and South San Antonio. The primary program of SASTEMIC is the Geek Bus, which started in 2014 to begin their educational services. What is the Geek Bus and why is it different? It’s a mobile education unit that travels to schools where the students can see actual equipment being used in the STEM field. The bus can take 30 students at a time, since its hands on interactive learning exposing kids to potential career opportunities. As of June 12, 2017, the Geek Bus has served over 13,000 students!
In the second half of the show, Jake and I dive into the actual workshops that are taught via the traveling Geek Bus when it goes on-site to different schools. Students can learn about various STEM related focus areas including robotics, video game design, 3D printing, sustainability and coding basics. The instructors also give the students an overview of STEM career tracks, potential salary that students can make after graduation and more. SASTEMIC is also working hard on engaging females to get interested and involved in STEM and to stay focused in school to excel at math, science and engineering. It’s important to help change the gender stereotypes in the STEM world. SASTEMIC is in the process of getting a new bus and hope to expand the program. Learn more about SASTEMIC and how you can help promote the organization, watch the full episode replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
Episode 41, July 8: Social Interactive Travel Platform and Protecting Your Personal Information with CooMo Travel Episode 42, July 15: Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University SA
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Cyber Forensics and Threat Intelligence with Coherent Cyber
- U.S. Air Force Cyber Recruiting with TSgt. Dyamie Baker
- Veteran Entrepreneurship and the Value of Human Capital with Spectrum Information Security
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- Future of Fingerprinting Technology with Mike Troy
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Bunker Labs and Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation with Johnathan Paul Wojtewicz
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.