Cyber Talk Radio: St. Mary’s University Cybersecurity Graduate Program
Cybersecurity Graduate Program at St. Mary’s University - Week 43 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, July 22, episode 43 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by [Dr. Ayad Barsoum, director, Masters of Science in Cybersecurity at St. Mary’s University,] to discuss the university’s masters of cybersecurity graduate program and how the university is working with the San Antonio community to get students involved in cybersecurity.](https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/master-cybersecurity/)
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Dr. Barsoum give an intro to the masters of cybersecurity program at St. Mary’s University. The program has three main components including fundamentals (building comprehensive knowledge), electives (including internships) and the thesis (the final comprehensive section). Dr. Barsoum shares that the main differentiator of the St. Mary’s program is that they are tackling cybersecurity from the technical side rather than focusing on the business side like other universities. The program includes hands on training with a virtual lab that has virtual machines that students can interact with. The motivation of creating the program was based on the need of the local community and nation with the increase in cybersecurity threats. Does this graduate program sound interesting? Learn what type of background/requirements students need to have to get into the cybersecurity program.
In the second half of the show, we dive into what St. Mary’s University is doing for community outreach to help spread the word about the graduate program and get students interested in cybersecurity. The university hosts summer camps for middle and high school students covering computer science and cybersecurity. Also, in the summer camps they teach kids basic technology skills and best practices such as how to develop strong passwords, how to detect phishing emails and how to develop fake viruses. They also offer a girls code camp which is funded by the Texas Commission Foundation.
To learn more about St. Mary’s University and its cybersecurity graduate program, listen to the full episode replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
Episode 44, July 29: Cyber Risk Management with Innove Episode 45, August 5: Cybersecurity Awareness and Training with Inspired eLearning Episode 46, August 12: Wordpress Security with WP Engine Episode 47, August 19: David’s Law - The Fight Against Cyberbullying Episode 48, August 26: Secure Data Exchange Platforms with Globalscape
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- U.S. Air Force Cyber Recruiting with TSgt. Dyamie Baker
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Bunker Labs and Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation with Johnathan Paul Wojtewicz
- STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio with Jake Lopez at SASTEMIC
- Social Interactive Travel Platform and Protecting Your Personal Information
- Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University San Antonio
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.