Cyber Talk Radio: St. Philip’s College Cybersecurity Program
St. Philip’s College Cyber Security Program - Week 49 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, September 2, episode 49 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Thomas Sahin, Professor and Director of Cyber Security Center at St. Philip’s College.
In the first half of the show, we start by introducing Tom and why he started the Cyber Security Program at St. Philip’s College. As a graduate from UTSA, it appeared to him that we would need to do something to protect our information, so he developed an interest in network security. From there, he talked about Alamo Community College District and the fact that all of the colleges in the district have a cyber security program.
The St. Philip’s program is designated as a NSA/DHS National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense. The designation is based on “updated academic criteria for cybersecurity education.”
Tom went into details of the program and talked about the hardware and software students will get hands on experience with. Because many of their students work part or full time, they have night and online courses to keep the program flexible. He then talked about scholarships and financial aid available and confirmed that the program is GI Bill eligible.
In the second half of the show, we start off by going into the application process then move to the big picture of cyber security. Although hacking is a component of what students learn, they are also taught about the policy and process, and business sides of cyber security.
We then talk about the Cyber First Responders Conference and the grant they received to train teachers on cyber security. The mission of the program is to provide cyber security support if a major cyber incident arises.
The last thing we covered was cyber bullying and how important David’s Legacy is to educating today’s youth on how important it is to be a good citizen of the internet.
To learn more about St. Philip’s College and their Cyber Security Program, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
Episode 50, September 9: Cybersecurity Program at Our Lady of the Lake University
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Bunker Labs and Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation with Johnathan Paul Wojtewicz
- STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio with Jake Lopez at SASTEMIC
- Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Master’s Program at St. Mary’s University
- Cyber Risk Management with Innove
- Cyber Security Awareness and Training with Inspired eLearning
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.