Cyber Talk Radio: Our Lady of the Lake University Cyber Security Programs
Our Lady of the Lake Cyber Security Program - Week 50 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, September 9, episode 50 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Areej Al-Bataineh, Assistant Professor at the School of Business and Leadership at Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, Texas.
In the first half of the show, we start by introducing Dr. Al-Bataineh and why she studied computer science and concentrated on malware. From there she talked about Our Lady of the Lake University, their three campuses and their online programs. Within the School of Business and Leadership, they have several degree programs in the Department of Computer Information Systems and Security, including a BS and a BBA.
US News and World Report published their Best Jobs of 2017, and Computer Systems Analyst is No. 8, so the need for cybersecurity professionals is clear.
During the course of her studies in computer science, she was fascinated by “worms,” and was inspired by Dr. Greg White at UTSA to pursue a specialization in malware.
With that background, she has helped influence their programs to build a strong foundation in hardware and security. And to add business value, they work through determining the value of the data they are protecting. Their malware course started as a special topics course and has worked its way into the programs they have today. Their programs are certified by NSA and DHS.
As good stewards in the community, OLLU sponsors the Center for Information Assurance; they participate in National Cyber Security Awareness Month; they regularly go to local community centers to hold seminars on cybersecurity and they are seeking GenCyber funding to do summer camps for teachers.
One of the efforts they are most proud of is their work with the National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition.
As part of the growth of their future, they are working on behavioral research to determine best practices for planning to align policies to inspire more robust IT compliance.
To learn more about Our Lady of the Lake University and their programs in cybersecurity, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
Episode 51, September 16: Internet of Things with James Brehm
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Bunker Labs and Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation with Johnathan Paul Wojtewicz
- STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio with Jake Lopez at SASTEMIC
- Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Master’s Program at St. Mary’s University
- Cyber Risk Management with Innove
- Cyber Security Awareness and Training with Inspired eLearning
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.