Cyber Talk Radio: Innovation in Education with Palo Alto College
Bret Piatt, CTR Host, and Dr. Mike Flores, Palo Alto College President - Week 61 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, November 25, episode 61 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Dr. Mike Flores, president at Palo Alto College.
In the first half of the show, Dr. Flores gives us a quick introduction to the Alamo Colleges system, which includes over 60,000 credit students enrolled in all of the colleges. Alamo Colleges is the largest provider of higher education in San Antonio. Dr. Flores is the president at Palo Alto College and highlights that they focus on transparency and innovation in education. The college is the number one program graduating students with associate’s degrees in the state of Texas. Dr. Flores has focused his time on creating new innovative programs at the college to help provide access for the community to education. He discusses how he wants to continue to empower students through a variety of resources on campus through high impact teaching and learning practices including usage of academic advising, learning communities, new student orientation, and problem-based learning.
In the second half of the show, we dive into the different associate’s degree programs offered at Palo Alto College. The college offers over 23 different associate’s degrees and over 40 certificates in fields such as computer information systems, automotive, manufacturing and more. Dr. Flores mentions that he is always looking for ways to leverage technology to ensure that the college is best enabling students and providing a great experience. Some of the major obstacles that he sees for working students is the cost of education and making sure students are starting to prepare early in high school for industry jobs. He believes CAST Tech is the next wave for high schools. San Antonio is a high growth area for advanced manufacturing, healthcare and IT so these are growing industries that the college is pursuing to educate talent. Palo Alto College is currently looking to hire faculty for healthcare administration, microbrewing and more. To see more information on open teaching positions go here.
To learn more, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 62, December 2: Security in the Cloud with Assembla
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Entrepreneurs and Education in San Antonio with Hitish Nathani from The Learning Company
- Technology is Going Places in San Antonio with Iris Gonzalez of the Rivard Report
- Job Training in San Antonio with SA Works
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Master’s Program at St. Mary’s University
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.