Cyber Talk Radio: Public Sector Cybersecurity
Bret Piatt, CTR Host, and Larry Romo, candidate for Bexar County District Clerk - Week 63 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, December 9, episode 63 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Larry Romo, candidate running for Bexar County District Clerk.
In the first half of the show, Larry tells us about his background as a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force and director in the U.S. Selective Service System. He was nominated by President Obama in the fall of 2009 as the 12th Selective Service System Director, a Senate confirmed presidential appointee. He is now running for Bexar County District Clerk. The District Clerk is primarily the clerk of court for all district courts. The Clerk deals with all district court records and files, and they are also the conservator for these court records. The term for Bexar County Clerk is four years, which is a good amount of time for executing projects during the term. Larry and I also talk through several of the unique challenges dealing with public sector cybersecurity. The primary elections are March 6, 2018 so be sure to go vote!
In the second half of the show, we talk through the modernization and transformation of IT systems in Bexar County. As background, the Bexar County awarded an $18.9 million dollar contract in 2011 to create the Bexar County Integrated Justice System (BCIJS). The five-year contract was given to American Cadestre LLC (AMCAD) to replace the county’s 1980s mainframe for court-related data. AMCAD was contracted to provide integrated justice software, consulting and development services, training and implementation services, and support services. In the end, the project was unsuccessful and after about three years, AMCAD walked away from the project and later declared bankruptcy. Larry, if elected, wants to bring his leadership and expertise to the District Clerk office and help create a Information Technology board and staff as well as analyze their cybersecurity practices and training.
To learn more, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 64, December 16: Mission Texas to Tel Aviv with Silverfort and Build Sec Foundry
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Security in the Cloud with Assembla
- Innovation in Education with Palo Alto College
- Entrepreneurs and Education in San Antonio with Hitish Nathani from The Learning Company
- Technology is Going Places in San Antonio with Iris Gonzalez of the Rivard Report
- Job Training in San Antonio with SA Works
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Master’s Program at St. Mary’s University
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.