Cyber Talk Radio: Privacy-as-a-Service and Secure Containers
Bret Piatt, CTR Host, and Symmetry Co-founder, Casen Hunger, discuss privacy-as-a-service and using secure containers in creative ways. - Week 66 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, December 30, episode 66 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Casen Hunger, Symmetry Co-founder.
In the first half of the show, Casen shares his background as he is currently working to achieve his Ph.D. in computer security at The University of Texas at Austin. We then dive into some computer security technical details. Are you familiar with side-channels? Casen explains what they are and why he is researching side and covert-channels. His research led him to develop a new type of secure container called Blox. Blox is the beginning of why he co-founded Symmetry, which is a part of the San Antonio incubator, Build Sec Foundry. Casen also explains how Symmetry’s product is using containers in new creative ways. Existing solutions target data-at-rest and data-in-transit protection. Symmetry goes after data-in-use security.
In the second half of the show, we talk through more of the backstory in how Symmetry was founded. Casen discusses how there needs to be more symmetry between developers and the security teams. What are attackers and defenders trying to do, what are the possible side-channels? The Equifax data breach is a major example of this. We also talk through static code analysis and analyzing source code for vulnerabilities without running it. To learn more about Symmetry and Casen’s computer security research, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 67, January 6: The Evolution of Cybersecurity and Today’s Challenges with Earl Eiland of 4S Cyber Solutions
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Offense-based perspective to network defense with Level Effect
- Mission Texas to Tel Aviv with Cybersecurity San Antonio and Silverfort
- Public Sector Cybersecurity with Larry Romo
- Security in the Cloud with Assembla
- Innovation in Education with Palo Alto College
- Entrepreneurs and Education in San Antonio with Hitish Nathani from The Learning Company
- Technology is Going Places in San Antonio with Iris Gonzalez of the Rivard Report
- Job Training in San Antonio with SA Works
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.