Cyber Talk Radio: Seed Fund Programs for B2B Startups
Bret Piatt, CTR Host, Jenni White, RealCo Partner, and Chris Saum, RealCo Partner, discuss seed fund programs for B2B startups. - Week 68 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, January 13, episode 68 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by RealCo Partners, Jenni White and Chris Saum. We kick off the first part of the episode with Jenni and Chris giving us an introduction to RealCo and its mission as a seed fund program for B2B startups. RealCo is based in San Antonio, however, they currently invest in six startups based in different cities across the U.S. The RealCo team keeps a small class of cohorts so that they can take a more active role than traditional venture capital (VC) firms through hands on guidance. What is an early stage investment? What makes a company a good fit for RealCo and how long do they stay in the program? Jenni and Chris share the story of Dauber, a truck focused app maker, that went through the RealCo program and secured $1.1 million in funding.
In the second half of the show, we talk through Chris and Jenni’s background and how they landed at RealCo. We then dive into discussing how cybersecurity companies secure funding. We take a shot at laying out a blueprint for what it would take for a cybersecurity company to secure funding from an investor like RealCo to take a business from seed funding to series A. In San Antonio, we have 100+ cyber security companies either doing managed services and/or offering a cybersecurity product. How does RealCo think about investing in a services business? Does RealCo think about should buy versus have to buy products/services? No surprise that they prefer must haves but are open to both. To learn more about RealCo, hear some advice on how to secure seed funding and what criteria RealCo uses to choose what companies they invest in, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 69, January 20: Transit Innovation with VIA’s VP of Information Technology
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Privacy-as-a-Service and Secure Containers with Symmetry
- Offense-based perspective to network defense with Level Effect
- Mission Texas to Tel Aviv with Cybersecurity San Antonio and Silverfort
- Public Sector Cybersecurity with Larry Romo
- Security in the Cloud with Assembla
- Innovation in Education with Palo Alto College
- Entrepreneurs and Education in San Antonio with Hitish Nathani from The Learning Company
- Technology is Going Places in San Antonio with Iris Gonzalez of the Rivard Report
- Job Training in San Antonio with SA Works
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.