Cyber Talk Radio: City Of San Antonio Economic Workforce Development
Bret Piatt, CTR Host, and David Meadows, City of San Antonio Economic Development, discuss economic and workforce development. - Week 74 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, February 24, episode 74 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by David Meadows, City of San Antonio Economic Development to discuss innovative services in support of national security.
We kick off the show by having David tell us about his background and role as a workforce development manager at the City of San Antonio. When the city says workforce development, what does that mean to the community? San Antonio is dedicated to growing and sustaining its workforce in major industries such as healthcare and bioscience, aerospace, information technology and cybersecurity, and renewable energy through innovative education and career training programs. What has the city done to help workforce development? David talks about what the city has done to build a system that can be flexible, connecting programs and agencies together so they can create a pipeline of talent. Major supporters of the job training programs are Project Quest, Open Cloud Academy and Alamo Colleges. The City also works with SA Works as they host a Job Shadow program as well as the Alamo Academies. The city also collaborate with the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation on incentive packages for attracting businesses to San Antonio - a strong workforce pipeline is always a major part of these discussions.
In the second half of the show, we discuss the SA Tomorrow Plan. By 2040, San Antonio’s population is expected to increase by approximately one million people. SA Tomorrow is an innovative, three-pronged planning effort to guide the city toward smart, sustainable growth. The city is focused on continuing pathways for continuing education and workforce development. How much is the city spending on the workforce development? Why should a cybersecurity business owner choose San Antonio? There are major benefits such as cost of living, city infrastructure in place and development of future talent and workforce to compete with other major U.S. cities like Washington D.C. Did you know that San Antonio is second behind Washington D.C. in terms of cybersecurity jobs? That is a big accomplishment!
Learn more about the City of San Antonio Economic and Workforce Development efforts in the full episode replay available here!**
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 75, March 3, 6:00 p.m.: CAST Tech’s First Freshman Class with Jason Salazar, Andrea Torres Sauceda Laurent and Dr. Don Davis
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Innovative Services in Support of National Security with Inflow
- Innovation in Education with CAST Tech High School Principal
- General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR) with Van Lindberg
- Innovation in Education with CAST Tech
- San Antonio Economic Development Foundation
- Transit Innovation with VIA’s VP of Information Technology
- Offense-based perspective to network defense with Level Effect
- Mission Texas to Tel Aviv with Cybersecurity San Antonio and Silverfort
- Innovation in Education with Palo Alto College
- Job Training in San Antonio with SA Works
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.