Cyber Talk Radio: Indoor Navigation, Positioning and Asset Tracking with ReckonPoint
Bret Piatt, CTR Host and Gabe Garza, ReckonPoint CEO - Week 103 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Sunday, September 16, episode 103 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Gabe Garza of ReckonPoint to discuss indoor navigation, positioning and asset tracking.
San Antonio is known as Cyber City USA so it’s no surprise that Gabe is a Navy veteran with experience in aviation, radars and navigation. When it comes to indoor navigation, a common shortfall is how do you know where things are inside a building. ReckonPoint is using magnets to improve accuracy. As of right now, they are getting within 1.5 meters which is pretty darn close to accurate. ReckonPoint has been a finalist in the CivTechSA initiative. They are working on real-time asset tracking and doing mapping for the San Antonio International Airport. According to ReckonPoint, the airport’s goal is to use indoor navigation and airport wayfinding to integrate many of the individual services already in place at the airport such as TSA wait times, parking availability, and rewards programs. How cool would that be? ReckonPoint submitted a proposal and waiting to hear back from the airport on if they would like to move forward with the project so stay tuned! So, what other projects is ReckonPoint interested in helping with around the city? Gabe brought up was around the famous San Antonio River Walk. Have you tried to use GPS on the River Walk? It’s not very accurate. That would be a fun project for ReckonPoint to work on especially with all of the technology they are using to improve mapping and navigation accuracy. Their technology would also be beneficial for 911 issues such as mass violence in a building such as a school. They want the good guys to have as much information as they can and help make their lives easier and better.
In the first half of the show, we talked a lot about projects and challenges that ReckonPoint would like to help solve. In the second half of the show, we dig into the robots that ReckonPoint has developed and the technology involved. Originally, the robot started as a push cart with some Raspberry Pi’s and sensors. The new, updated robot looks like a bat wing with antennas, magnetic sensors and inertial measurement unit (IMU) sensors. The robot reports all of the data back via the cloud. One good example of how they are using the robots for safety inspections is by going around a building and mapping fire extinguishers and other emergency precautions. Where is ReckonPoint going from here now that they have been working on the CivTechSA project with the airport? Gabe mentions that they are looking at Convention Centers in San Antonio and other cities for indoor navigation/mapping and also ways they can apply their technology to chemical sensors.
Listen to the episode replay to hear more about ReckonPoint,here or watch below.**
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 104, September 22: Ghostwire Academy
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- DigitalTown Building Mobile Tools to Make it Easy to Search, Connect and Buy Local
- Entrepreneurship in San Antonio with Dirk Elmendorf of Brokerage Engine
- San Antonio Museum of Science and Technology (SAMSAT)
- Holistic Approach to IT Solutions with Tech Quarry
- Project Tech at Port San Antonio
- The Realities of Maximizing your Data Privacy with Bret Piatt
- Filling the Tech Talent Gap in San Antonio with TechBloc
- Legal Issues in Cyber with Langley & Banack
- Training at Joint Base San Antonio with Microsoft Systems and Software Academy
- Using Technology to Clear Criminal Records
- Identifying and Protecting Relevant Data with R Rectify
- Energy, Partnerships and Innovation in San Antonio with EPIcenter
- Proximity Security with HopZero
- Data Privacy as Protectionism with Justin Freeman
- CivTechSA with the City of San Antonio Chief Innovation Office and Geekdom
- Password Management with TeamPassword
- Effective Cyber Training with CNF Technologies
- Kids Learning to Code with Youth Code Jam Founder
- Trinity University’s Students + Startups Program with Luis Martinez
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.