Cyber Talk Radio: Ghostwire Academy, IT and Cybersecurity Training
Bret Piatt, CTR Host and Shaun Herron, Ghostwire Academy President - Week 104 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, September 22, episode 104 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Shaun Herron, Nilo Mackey, and Meagan Gabrysch of Ghostwire Academy to discuss the academy and its IT and cybersecurity training program for youth in San Antonio.
To kick off the program, we get to hear directly from two students that are attending Ghostwire Academy, Nilo and Meagan, and how they got interested in technology and programming. Nilo, a student at NEISD STEM Academy, got into CoderDOJO to learn computer programming CE, Python and Java Script to get started. That is where he met Shaun! Meagan, a student at Clark High School, joined the ROTC program at her school specifically to join the CyberPatriot team. Since her school ended up getting rid of the CyberPatriot program, she got involved in the Ghostwire Academy to continue her cybersecurity training and education. Shaun has served as a Non-Commissioned Officer for the U.S. Air Force for over 18 years and is currently Flight Chief of Operations at the 33rd Network Warfare Squadron. Shaun has certifications in Sec+, Linux+, GCIH, and Forensic Disk Analysis as well as associate degrees in Advanced Electronic Concepts and Cybersecurity. Given his military and cyber background, Shaun channeled his passion for STEM education and exposing youth to potential career paths in IT and cybersecurity by founding the Ghostwire Academy.
Ghostwire Academy originally took place at public libraries around town and overtime developed an organized curriculum. Ghostwire is now based at the Confluence Park focusing on high school students, freshman up to seniors. Right now, they are offering courses teaching ethical hacking and IT Fundamentals (10-week certification course). In 2019, they plan to offer a few iterations of IT Fundamentals, Network+ and Security+ which will all be certification courses. The Academy is doing something a little different by teaching teenagers about IT fundamentals and computer networking with a concentration on cybersecurity, all run by active duty service members with military experience in cyber warfare and cyber operations. These teachers and trainers translate their teaching material into certifications so that the students can either go directly into the workforce or secure scholarships to continue their STEM education.
Thanks to Ghostwire Academy’s sponsor, Dynamic Advancement, they are able to provide the exams and certifications to students for free! The Academy is always looking for sponsors, donations and experts to help train the students. If you want to get involved to help support, reach out to Shaun at: [email protected].
Listen to the episode replay to hear more about Ghostwire Academy and how to get students excited about technology and cybersecurity, here or watch below.
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 105, September 29: Cybersecurity San Antonio with the San Antonio Chamber
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Entrepreneurship in San Antonio with Dirk Elmendorf of Brokerage Engine
- San Antonio Museum of Science and Technology (SAMSAT)
- Holistic Approach to IT Solutions with Tech Quarry
- Project Tech at Port San Antonio
- The Realities of Maximizing your Data Privacy with Bret Piatt
- Filling the Tech Talent Gap in San Antonio with TechBloc
- Legal Issues in Cyber with Langley & Banack
- Training at Joint Base San Antonio with Microsoft Systems and Software Academy
- Using Technology to Clear Criminal Records
- Identifying and Protecting Relevant Data with Rectify
- Energy, Partnerships and Innovation in San Antonio with EPIcenter
- Proximity Security with HopZero
- Data Privacy as Protectionism with Justin Freeman
- CivTechSA with the City of San Antonio Chief Innovation Office and Geekdom
- Password Management with TeamPassword
- Effective Cyber Training with CNF Technologies
- Kids Learning to Code with Youth Code Jam Founder
- Trinity University’s Students + Startups Program with Luis Martinez
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.