6 Steps to Safer Online Surfin’ This Holiday Season
‘Tis the season to be safe online! We’ve moved past Halloween and the holidays are now upon us. It’s no secret that online shopping and Internet use in general spikes during online shopping season. Many people are off from work, doing last minute shopping, enjoying more online media, and even rushing to meet year end deadlines. It's imperative for you, your family and business to remain watchful as digital robbery and cyberattacks increase amid the season. And why wouldn’t they? Online sales will easily surpass $500 billion in November and December and that means bad actors will be busier than ever doing all they can to steal and use your personal information. The question is are you cyber ready to make sure you don’t fall victim to a breach or loss this season? If you haven’t put together a plan of action, don’t be dismayed.
Here are six tips to get you on the right track to a safe holiday season.
- Have a backup strategy in place – Backup is no longer an option. It’s a requirement. Keeping a safe second copy of your data ensures you have a data recovery plan in case you suffer a cyberattack or major data loss. Use a top backup provider like Jungle Disk to help provide some security and peace of mind.
- Keep a watchful eye – If something looks out of place, it probably is. Make sure you are shopping on reputable sites and stay clear of “too good to be true” deals and offers.
- Be aware and get trained – Mistrusted links are one thing, but today's cyber criminals are savvy on how they mask links in emails, social media platforms like Facebook, and on your favorite websites. Make sure your team is trained on what to look out for and be arduous about how you vet all online activity. Studies show that regular ongoing training helps to keep employees sharp and focused on how to recognize threats and avoid them.
- Secure your surfing – When you are in a hurry, it is extremely critical you are utilizing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) tunnel when you are making the rounds online. A VPN will guarantee that your activity is encoded and safe from online bandits and network intruders.
- Keep outside threats to your business at bay – Make sure you are running a network firewall that offers an active ransomware shield, malware protection, and data leak prevention. Having this set up, will stop infected connections, email phishing attempts, and social media links that can possibly wreck your day. I suggest taking a look at an active threat protection and ransomware shield like the one here.
- Be vigilant with your password management – Make sure you and your peers are using complex security keys to log into workstations and online portals. It’s even better if you use a password manager like TeamPassword. Using a password manager will help you put together complex security keys and store all your passwords in a safe, encrypted environment.
It all boils down to this. The vast majority of people get excited about the holidays and we all should. It's an opportunity to get together with friends and family, build memories, and relax while having a great time. Do your best to keep cyber criminals from wrecking that for you. In the event that you require some extra guidance on remaining safe while holiday shopping or working online, look at this article from Lifelock. If you want advice and a great selection of products and services, feel free to contact our Jungle Disk experts or call 1-888-601-0401. Happy Holidays!