Cyber Talk Radio: Booz Allen Hamilton Expands Cybersecurity Office in San Antonio (Part 1)
Bret Piatt, CTR Host and Bob Miller, VP of Booz Allen Hamilton - Episode 143 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, June 22, episode 143 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Bob Miller, vice president of Booz Allen Hamilton, to discuss their expanding presence in San Antonio, including hiring and training local cyber talent.
We start off the episode having Bob explain what Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) is — mostly a government and management consulting firm that’s been around for over 100 years. They’ve been in San Antonio since the 1990s, starting with civil engineering, and have expanded locally since, with a lot of that expansion being in cybersecurity. They’re located downtown at the Weston Center and also at the former Kelly Air Force Base, which is now Port San Antonio, where a lot of cool new things in cybersecuirty are happening. Bob and I chat about the evolution of San Antonio from military and tourism into the cyber hub that it is now — BAH has really grown and evolved along with the city’s changing environments. Their real selling point is that they look toward the future and want to empower people to change the world. Before the break, I ask Bob to explain how BAH handled the government shutdown and furlough. They carried 800 staff for over four weeks, which really speaks to the core values of the firm. They keep staff on and want to give careers to employees who demonstrate opportunity for growth.
After the break, we talk about one of my favorite topics: CyberPatriot — a national coed cybersecurity team sport. BAH started to get involved with the program with a basic sponsorship, but the San Antonio office decided to start hiring interns from the city’s top-ranking teams, which gives these students four-year internships once they graduate high school! This helps so when they graduate college, they’ve got a security clearance, a degree and real-world experience. Then BAH has a talented pool to hire from. They also co-chair Hiring our Heroes, where they’re working on improving military spouses with employment. Keep an eye out for next week’s episode, with the firm’s principals Mark Rydell and Vincent Valdespino, which will be a more in-depth look at cybersecurity work and internships at Booz Allen Hamilton.
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 144, Saturday, June 29: Booz Allen Hamilton Expands Cybersecurity Office in San Antonio (Part 2)
- Episode 145, Saturday, July 6: University of Texas San Antonio's (UTSA) Director of the Cyber Center for Security and Analytics, Dr. Nicole Beebe
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Computer Information Systems and Security Degrees at Our Lady of the Lake University
- Consumer Data Breaches, Election Security and More
- San Antonio Economic Development Foundation's Latest Jobs Report
- Cybersecurity Center at St. Philip's College
- Cliently's Lead Generation Automation
- InfoSec and Cyber Education in San Antonio
- Latest & Greatest from CyberSecurity San Antonio
- Cyber Talk Radio: Accelerating Our National Cybersecurity Strategy
- Federal Data Privacy Law
- CyberPatriot, the National Youth Cyber Education Program
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.