Mobile App Development Security - Week 19 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, January 28, the 19th episode of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Jason Straughan and Anton Domratchev of Grok Interactive to discuss mobile app development and security.
In the first half of the show, we kick off the show with an intro to Jason and Anton and their roles at Grok Interactive, a custom web and mobile application development firm. Software and application security continues to evolve as more people are using mobile apps and accessing data via the Internet when they are on the go whether at the airport, coffee shop or working remotely. It is important develop applications and software that is secure even when running on unsecure internet connections. How do you set up a secure authentication system? Jason and Anton recommend that you make sure the comms between the client and server is encrypted. A helpful reference guide is the OWASP Top 10 Mobile list which is controlled by the security community and gives the top rules to follow. Anton walks us through the top 10 mobile list countdown.
10: Extraneous Functionality
9: Reverse Engineering
8: Code Tampering
7: Client Code Quality
In the second half of the show, we continue the OWASP Top 10 Mobile list countdown with number 6 and finish off the list with the number 1 category. I also asked Jason and Anton to give their 2017 predictions. Jason thinks the majority of cyberhacks in the coming years will be related to connected devices and appliances that leave users open to risk. https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Mobile_Top_10_2016-Top_10
6: Insecure Authorization
5: Insufficient Cryptography
4: Insecure Authentication
3: Insecure Communication
2: Insecure Data Storage
1: Improper Platform Usage
If you missed the episode live, watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 20, February 4: Creating a “Culture of Security” with Greg White, PhD of University of Texas San Antonio
- Episode 21, February 11: Cybersecurity Trend for 2017 with Stephanie Ewing-Ottmers of Delta Risk
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Incident Management and Response with Robert Autenrieth at J. Nels Consulting, LLC
- San Antonio, Cyber City USA with Jim Perschbach at Port San Antonio
- Accelerating Cybersecurity Innovation in San Antonio with Will Garrett at Build Sec Foundry
- Cyber Workforce and Economic Development in San Antonio with Joe Sanchez at CyberTexas Foundation
- Securing Cloud Data Services with Kenny Gorman at eventador.io
- Investigating Cyber Crimes with Ed Shaw, former FBI Agent and CIPP
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- PCI Compliance with Ray Sims of Decypher Technologies
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.