Cyber Talk Radio: The Future of Fingerprinting Technology
The Future of Fingerprinting Technology - Week 36 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, June 3, episode 36 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Mike Troy, CEO and Founder at FlashScan3D, to discuss the future of fingerprinting technology and how it extends today’s technologies into the 3rd dimension.
In the first half of the show, we kick off by talking about what led Mike into the fingerprinting and forensics business. We go over some of the basic terminology and aspects of biometrics including facial recognition, iris scanning, false positives, false negatives, etc. FlashScan3D mostly works with federal and law enforcement agencies on identification. Did you know that DNA is the gold standard of biometric identification? Nowadays, they are using fingerprint scanning for postmortem identification. Listen in on the first half of the show to learn about the different imaging techniques for 3D fingerprint scanning.
In the second half of the show, Mike and I discuss how someone could go about getting involved in the biometric world. Mike gives some tips such as getting involved in STEM education and excelling in math. We then move into talking about hard science aka forensic science. 3D fingerprinting technology is making forensic science better and can improve the work and accuracy of human examiners. However, there are always concerns around whether fingerprint scanning systems can get hacked. Listen to the replay to find out more around the security of these systems and if they are at risk to cyber attacks.
Watch the replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Open Cloud Academy and its Cybersecurity Track with Deborah Carter and Johnny Carrera
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Voice and Unified Communication Security with Mark Collier of SecureLogix
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Cyber Forensics and Threat Intelligence with Coherent Cyber
- U.S. Air Force Cyber Recruiting with TSgt. Dyamie Baker
- Veteran Entrepreneurship and the Value of Human Capital with Spectrum Information Security
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.