Cyber Talk Radio: Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University - San Antonio
Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University - San Antonio - Week 42 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, July 15, episode 42 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Dr. Kevin Barton, associate professor-professional track in computer information systems at Texas A&M University-San Antonio, to discuss the university’s cybersecurity program, how it got started and the different degrees and certificates offered to students in the information systems and security tracks.
In the first half of the show, we kick off by having Dr. Barton tell us about his background in education, how Texas A&M University - San Antonio (TAMU-SA) got built up and is now a four-year accredited program. How did the university in San Antonio decide to build out an IT program? Computer Information Systems was actually one of the main programs launched with the school in effort to attract 24th Air Force students. The university is going through the process of reaccreditation for Cyber Defense education. Students starting in the fall of 2018 will then be eligible for the Cyber Defense education certificate. Dr. Barton also tells us about TAMU-SA’s launch of JagCloud, a cloud environment for teaching and instruction. JagCloud is a cloud-based environment where students will deploy, operate and administer virtual servers in a controlled risk environment. It’s a cloud-based lab that will support traditional computer information system and computer science instruction, such as programming and database courses. They are on track to deploy JagCloud in the Fall semester!
In the second half of the show, we dive into discussing the Student Cyber Organization at TAMU-SA. The Student Cyber Organization allows students who are interested in information systems/computer science to explore and experiment with the topics learned in lectures and labs as an extracurricular activity. The organization is also used as a focal point for students who are interested in practicing/competing in any competitions such as the Imagine Cup. Information Systems Security Association (ISSA) has a student organization on A&M San Antonio’s campus and is associated with the Alamo Chapter. ISSA is a more industry focused and a way for students to get introduced to professionals in the local industry and also allows students to interact with the security businesses and professionals in San Antonio.
To learn more about Texas A&M University - San Antonio and its cybersecurity program, listen to the full episode replay here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 43, July 22: Cybersecurity Graduate Program at St. Mary’s University
- Episode 44, July 29: Cyber Risk Management with Innove
- Episode 45, August 5: Cybersecurity Awareness and Training with Inspired eLearning
- Episode 46, August 12: Wordpress Security with WP Engine
- Episode 47, August 19: David’s Law - The Fight Against Cyberbullying
- Episode 48, August 26: Secure Data Exchange Platforms with Globalscape
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Attracting Cyber Businesses to Bexar County with Commissioner Calvert
- Codeup’s Approach to Developing Responsible Programmers with Ryan Orsinger
- Career Matching for Military Cyber Jobs with Cyber Warrior Network
- Cyber Forensics and Threat Intelligence with Coherent Cyber
- U.S. Air Force Cyber Recruiting with TSgt. Dyamie Baker
- Veteran Entrepreneurship and the Value of Human Capital with Spectrum Information Security
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- Future of Fingerprinting Technology with Mike Troy
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Bunker Labs and Empowering Military Veterans as Leaders in Innovation with Johnathan Paul Wojtewicz
- STEM Education and the Geek Bus in San Antonio with Jake Lopez at SASTEMIC
- Social Interactive Travel Platform and Protecting Your Personal Information
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.