Don’t Let a Cyber Breach Burn You this Holiday Season
Tis the season for Cyber safety!
As we move into the 2017 holiday season, it’s important for you and your company to stay vigilant as cyber theft and attacks spike during this time of year. It makes sense after all. Retail sales estimates top $500 billion during this two month period and with the constant use of mobile and eCommerce, the number of potential targets for hackers is plentiful.
Now, unlike a large retailer or business, you might be on the smaller side and do not have the resources to implement a large-scale protection plan. So, what can you do to make sure you are protected?
It all starts with basic security hygiene.
- Surf with Security – When you are on the go, it is really important you are using a trusted VPN service when you are using the internet. Using a VPN will ensure that your traffic is encrypted and safe from suspicious eyes. If you don’t have something like this available, at the very least use your phone provider’s data network and stay off free WiFi! Free WiFi is a breeding ground for cyber criminals.
- Defend Your Company from External Threats – Does your business have multi-level threat protection keeping your network safe from attacks? Make sure you are running a network firewall that offers an active ransomware shield, malware protection, and data leak prevention. Having this in place will block malicious links, emails, and social media objects that have the potential to wreck your day.
- Backup, Backup, Backup - Keeping a safe, second copy of your data ensures you have a Plan B, in case you suffer a cyber attack or major data loss. The last thing you want is to have your shopping experience for Aunt May turn into a total data loss disaster for your business or personal critical files! Using a trusted backup provider like Jungle Disk will help provide some security and peace of mind.
- Don’t use PASSWORD as Your Password - Ensure your business and employees are utilizing complex passwords to log into computer systems. Have established criteria in place and use the highest recommended security standards for password setting. Also, keep your passwords in a safe place and have policy around password safekeeping.
- Keep a Lookout – If something looks out of place, it probably is. Make sure you are shopping on reputable sites and stay clear of “too good to be true” deals and offers.
- Train Up on the Risks – Make sure you and your peers undergo cybersecurity training. Suspicious links are one thing but today’s cyber criminals are savvy on how they mask links in emails, social media platforms like Facebook, and on your favorite websites. Make sure your team is trained on what to look out for and be rigorous about how you vet each click of the mouse. Studies show that regular ongoing training helps to keep employees sharp and focused on how to recognize threats and avoid them.
Here’s the deal… Most people look forward to the holidays as you should! It’s a time to get together with loved ones, make memories, and let off a little steam. Don’t let a cybercriminal ruin your holidays. If you need some additional advice on staying safe while holiday shopping, check out this article from Lifelock. Or, if you need help putting together a data security plan for your business, please contact our Jungle Disk experts.