Cyber Talk Radio: Security in the Cloud
Bret Piatt, CTR Host, and Jacek Materna, CTO at Assembla, discuss security in the cloud - Week 62 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, December 2, episode 62 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Jacek Materna, CTO at Assembla.
In the first half of the show, Jacek tells us a little bit about his background in tech and cybersecurity. Have you heard of Assembla based in San Antonio? Assembla is a provider of Enterprise Cloud Version Control. Jacek talks through source code management, security and regulations such as GDPR. With the recent Uber and Equifax data breaches, it is important for businesses to keep cybersecurity a priority so that employee and customer credentials cannot be compromised by nefarious actors getting access to personal information. Consumers need to be more aware of their security, privacy settings and password management. For businesses, core intellectual property is stored in their source code systems so they need to have the proper protection in place to keep any bad actors out of their network and systems. DevOps and security are key skill sets needed for businesses to properly build products with these top of mind.
In the second half of the show, we talk through the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), regulations protecting the privacy and security of certain health information. HIPAA created an ecosystem and framework for medical institutions to implement high security for all electronic medical records (EMRs). Now that EMRs are digital, cybersecurity is even more important. An interesting topic related to HIPAA that isn’t always discussed is around the software developers that are building the healthcare applications. The developers and users of these applications need to think about the security of those apps and how to keep the data stored safe from cyberattacks. Jacek also gives some advice on technical training and coding programs available in San Antonio.
To learn more, listen to the full episode replay available here!
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 63, December 9: Public Sector Cybersecurity with Larry Romo, Candidate Running for Bexar County District Clerk
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Innovation in Education with Palo Alto College
- Entrepreneurs and Education in San Antonio with Hitish Nathani from The Learning Company
- Technology is Going Places in San Antonio with Iris Gonzalez of the Rivard Report
- Job Training in San Antonio with SA Works
- Cybersecurity Legislation with Congressman Will Hurd
- Creating a “Culture of Security” with Dr. Greg White of University of Texas San Antonio
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Paying Ransoms to Hackers with Van Lindberg
- 24th Air Force Cyber Operations with Sherri Hanson
- Cybersecurity Program at Texas A&M University San Antonio
- Cybersecurity Master’s Program at St. Mary’s University
- How to Secure Wordpress with WP Engine
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.