Cyber Talk Radio: Career Transition Advice for Entrepreneurs
Bret Piatt, CTR Host and Dr. Michelle Mudge-Riley of Physicians Helping Physicians - Week 101 of Cyber Talk Radio
This past Saturday, September 4, episode 101 of Cyber Talk Radio hit the air on 1200 WOAI and iHeartRadio streaming. I was joined by Dr. Michelle Mudge-Riley of Physicians Helping Physicians to discuss career transitioning advice for entrepreneurs.
This week’s topic is not our traditional cybersecurity or tech-focused one, but just as important for our listeners! Michelle has started three successful companies and is currently serving as Entrepreneur in Residence for Trinity University in San Antonio. Her mission is to empower individuals to find and understand their best career options through networking and connections. After going to medical school, she decided that wasn’t what she wanted to do. As she mentioned, life is too short to do what you hate. So through her career transition, she began starting to help other physicians with career enhancement and/or career transition to a non-clinical career. This type of career change is also very similar to military veterans translating their work and skills in the military to civilian life.
Did you know the first person to live to 150 has already been born? That just proves people are living longer and have the ability to transition their career to find and do what they love! Michelle shares more about the five stages of transition and some tips for transitioning your career. What are your options and how long does it take? Well, they vary depending on what you want to do, your skill set, education, etc. Transitioning over four months is a short timeline as it usually takes at least six months to a year. We spend a lot of time talking about people making that second transition in their career. Tune in to hear what advice Michelle has for high school and college students trying to decide what they want to do? Determining your career is an exciting time, Michelle recommends pursuing and try a lot of different things. Participate in internships, make mistakes, try doing job roles that you are interested in to see if you like it. Experiencing different fields will always help you no matter what! Quick words of advice, if you are looking to make a career change, make sure you are running towards something not away from something. It will make you a lot more successful at what you are trying to do!
Listen to the episode replay to hear more career transition advice and tips, here or watch below.
Upcoming episode – Saturday nights from 11:00 p.m. to Midnight -
- Episode 102, September 9: Smart Cities with Frank Robles of DigitalTown and Javier Guerra of Tech Quarry
Listen to a replay of this episode or past episodes on a Cyber Talk Radio Podcast stream. Replays are available via the below podcast services:
Recent episodes – available to stream from our YouTube channel -
- Entrepreneurship in San Antonio with Dirk Elmendorf of Brokerage Engine
- San Antonio Museum of Science and Technology (SAMSAT)
- Holistic Approach to IT Solutions with Tech Quarry
- Project Tech at Port San Antonio
- The Realities of Maximizing your Data Privacy with Bret Piatt
- Filling the Tech Talent Gap in San Antonio with TechBloc
- Legal Issues in Cyber with Langley & Banack
- Training at Joint Base San Antonio with Microsoft Systems and Software Academy
- Using Technology to Clear Criminal Records
- Identifying and Protecting Relevant Data with R Rectify
- Energy, Partnerships and Innovation in San Antonio with EPIcenter
- Proximity Security with HopZero
- Data Privacy as Protectionism with Justin Freeman
- CivTechSA with the City of San Antonio Chief Innovation Office and Geekdom
- Password Management with TeamPassword
- Effective Cyber Training with CNF Technologies
- Kids Learning to Code with Youth Code Jam Founder
- Trinity University’s Students + Startups Program with Luis Martinez
Have an idea for a topic or want to be a guest?
Contact Cyber Talk Radio via our request a topic or be a guest form.